What Documents are Required During Cross-Border Moves?

Posted by on May 12 | 2015

Working for a corporation large enough to relocate for, it’s likely that you’re no stranger to filling out paperwork. Important files pass across your desk every day, so you understand full well how vital it is to stay organized and always have information in its proper place.

Cross-Border Moves

Thus, as far as your upcoming relocation is concerned, getting a head start on all of the required documentation is imperative. Since the failure to produce a single form can result in severe delays and moving setbacks, making the mistake of waiting can cost you a lot of precious time.

What do I Need to Bring with me for my Cross-Border Relocation?

The standard list of documents includes a passport, birth certificate, and valid form of photo identification for you and every member of your immediate family. You will also need to demonstrate proof of an applicable work Visa, whether traveling to Canada from the United States or vice versa.

Be prepared to provide your Social Insurance Card or Social Security Card when passing through customs as well, along with a completed 3299 form. The latter will need to be given to the moving company before they can load your household belongings, and must be filled out by the individual who is relocating. Please note that this, along with a copy of a marriage certificate (if applicable) need only be produced when transferring to the United States.

You have to have two inventory list copies on hand of all items that you intend to ship across the border upon your arrival, as well as those which will be shipped at a later date. Be sure to carefully compare the lists to ensure there are no mistakes; you could run into an issue with customs if an inventory deviation exists.

Depending on the specifics of where you are moving and what company you work for, your employer may also need to draft a letter confirming the validity of your transfer. While this is not always the case, it would be a good idea to contact your company’s HR department before the date of relocation.

Keep in mind that any outstanding taxes, fees, or duties must be paid in full before any and all goods can be released into the new country of residence. You can save yourself plenty of time and hassle by making a checklist of documentation to-dos well in advance.

To avoid the need to figure out which documents your specific move will entail, contact Armstrong Moving.



© 2018 World Wide Canadian Moving Company - Armmove.com. All Rights Reserved.